Waffle Berry Cobbler
- 1 bag (16 oz) frozen berry medley or 4 cups mixed fresh berries
- 2 cups blueberries*, frozen or fresh
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1/2 cup Imperial Sugar Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- Pinch salt
- 2 tablespoons + 1 teaspoons cornstarch
- 4 square waffles
- Preheat oven to 350°F. In a large bowl combine all berries and lemon juice. Separately mix sugar, salt, and cornstarch until well blended and toss into berries.
- Transfer into a 9X9-inch square porcelain or glass baking dish.
- Cover loosely with a sheet of parchment paper or aluminum foil and cut a vent hole in center.
- Place in oven and bake until mixture makes thick bubbles on edges and few near center. Bubbles should look like thick lava. Baking time depends on if you used room temperature fresh berries or frozen ones and on thickness of baking vessel. Due to these variances, do not worry about total baking time, 50-55 minutes is average, but can be longer.
- Remove from oven and remove cover. Fit waffles on surface and return to oven for about 5 minutes to get waffles hot.
- Sprinkle with powdered sugar, and top with ice cream or Creme Chantilly, if desired. Serve warm.
Blueberries contain a high amount of natural pectin. (For comparison, strawberries are extremely low in pectin). Pectin is what thickens jams, marmalades, and many other foods. This recipe counts on blueberries ability to aid with the thickening process. We do not recommend replacing blueberries with other berries.