Walnut Roquefort Salad
- 2 tablespoons Imperial Sugar Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1 cup walnut halves
- Optional: Pinch cayenne pepper
- 4 cups mixed baby greens or curly leaf lettuce, washed and dried
- 1/4 cup sliced green onions
- 2 stalks celery, sliced
- Optional: 1 pear
- 1/2 cup good quality blue cheese
- 1/4 cup white balsamic or red wine vinegar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon Imperial Sugar Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- Combine water and sugar in a small to medium sized sauté pan and bring to a boil. Add walnuts and stir continuously until all syrup is evaporated. Remove from heat and keep stirring until walnuts are covered with a sandy coating.
- Return to medium heat and stir until coating begins to melt and caramelize. Remove from heat and place on wax paper to cool. Sprinkle with cayenne pepper if desired. Once cooled, store airtight.
- Mix together all salad ingredients excluding blue cheese and place on four plates.
- Whisk dressing ingredients and drizzle onto salad. Add blue cheese and walnuts on salad and serve.
Caramelized walnuts are fantastic as a snack or paired with the tangy flavor of a good quality blue cheese.