Watermelon Pudding (Gelo Di Melone)
Watermelon Pudding or Gelo Di Melone
- 5-6 cups cut seedless watermelon pieces
- 4 tablespoons Imperial Sugar Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- 2 tablespoons + 2 teaspoons corn starch
- 2 tablespoons cherry liqueur (optional)
- 1/4 cup whipping cream
- 1 teaspoon Imperial Sugar Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- A few pistachios or almonds (optional)
- Using a blender or stick blender puree watermelon until very smooth.
- Pour through a fine sieve. Measure 2 1/2 cups of juice and pour in a saucepan along with sugar. Bring to a boil.
- Meanwhile, in a separate bowl combine 1/2 cup watermelon juice with corn starch.
- Stir corn starch mixture once again and add to boiling above. Whisk until mixture makes thick bubbles, this will only take about a minute.
- Remove from heat. Add liqueur if using. Pour mixture into glasses or other serving vessel and place in a refrigerator.
- Whip cream and sugar to medium peaks. Spoon onto cooled pudding.
- If desired sprinkle with nuts such as pistachios or toasted almonds.
- Serve cold and refrigerate leftovers.