You Are My Sunshine Cookies
- Imperial Sugar Cut-Out Cookies
- Imperial Sugar Royal Icing, double batch
- Gel paste food coloring in two shades of yellow, black, pink, and green
- Piping bags
- Icing coupler
- Icing tips: #2, #1, star, and leaf
- Squeeze bottles
- Cookies cutters: sun, flower, circle, and heart
- Follow recipe directions to make sugar cookies and royal icing.
- Make icing, divide, and tint. Press a piece of plastic wrap onto icing to prevent crusting.
- Thin lighter shade of yellow with water, a bit at a time, until a knife run through the center disappears in a count of 5-8 seconds. Cover with a damp dishtowel and let sit for several minutes. Stir gently to pop any large air bubbles.
- Dip circle cookies into thinned icing, lightly scraping excess icing (but not the cookie) on the side of the bowl. You can repeat this until you get the coverage you like. Give the cookie a gentle shake to smooth icing. Use a toothpick to pop large air bubbles. Set aside to dry at least 1 hour. [Note: circles are notoriously tricky to outline, so the dip method, rather than outline and fill, works well for this shape.]
- Place some of the darker yellow icing in a piping bag fitted with a #2 icing tip. Squiggle some icing onto the middle of each larger cookie. Place circle cookie on top.
- Use same icing to outline sun rays in triangle shapes and as straight lines. Thin remaining icing with water, a little thinner than light yellow icing. You’ll want to drop a ribbon of icing back into the bowl and have it disappear in a count of 2-3 seconds. If icing it too thin, add sifted powdered sugar to thicken and try again.
- Pour thinned icing into a squeeze bottle and fill in outlined triangles. Use a toothpick to guide to edges and pop large air bubbles.
- Use a #1 tip and black icing to add eyes and eyelashes onto the sun. Use a #2 tip and pink icing to add a heart-shaped mouth.
- For the “You are My Sunshine” wording cookies, outline and fill entire cookie in the darker yellow icing. Let dry at least one hour, then add the wording in black and a pink heart with the same icing tips as above.
- For hearts, outline and fill the cookie with pink icing. Let dry at least one hour. Switch the tip on the piping consistency yellow icing to a star tip. (Use two size star tips, if desired.) Pipe in a circle to make flowers. Use a leaf tip and green icing to make leaves.
- Let the cookies dry uncovered for 6-8 hours or overnight.
Imperial Sugar Insight
- Jump over to the Sweetalk Blog for a step-by-step photo tutorial.
- Recipe developed for Imperial Sugar by Bridget Edwards @Bake at 350.
Rate & Review
Log in or Register to post comments