Bananas Foster Macarons
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1 banana, peeled and mashed
- 4 cups Imperial Sugar Confectioners Powdered Sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon banana extract
- 1/4 teaspoon rum extract
- 2 tablespoons caramel sauce
*Spoon & Sweep method: Use a spoon to fill measuring cup with flour until required amount is obtained. Scooping measuring cup directly into flour bag will firmly pack flour resulting in too much flour required for recipe.
- Prepare macarons. In a large bowl, whisk together powdered sugar and almond flour until no lumps remain.
- Combine room temperature egg whites and pinch of salt in bowl of an electric mixer.
- Whip egg whites until white and foamy.
- Slowly add in 1/4 cup granulated sugar and increase speed to high.
- Set timer for 15 minutes and let egg whites whip on high until stiff peaks form.
- Whip in 4-5 drops yellow gel food color and 1/2 teaspoon banana extract.
- Using a rubber spatula gently fold almond flour/powdered sugar mixture into whipped egg whites.
- Slowly fold and mix until batter is smooth. Batter is ready when it "melts" when drizzled on top of itself.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or use a macaron baking mat.
- Fill a piping bag with batter, snip the end.
- Pipe 1-inch circles onto baking sheet, leaving 1-inch space between each macaron.
- Tap the baking sheet onto the counter to remove air bubbles.
- Let macarons sit at room temperature 1 hour before baking.
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Bake macarons in a preheated oven with the door slightly open.
- Bake for about 15 minutes or until they are matte looking and dry to the touch. Test 1 macaron by lifting it gently from baking sheet. If bottom tears apart, bake for 3-5 more minutes and test again.
- Remove from oven and allow the macarons to cool completely on baking sheet.
- For filling, add butter to mixer bowl. Beat until smooth.
- Mix in mashed banana.
- Mix in powdered sugar until combined and smooth.
- Whip in banana extract and rum extract.
- Pipe filling onto flat surfaces of 1/2 of macarons. Fill centers of each macaron with 1/4 teaspoon of caramel sauce.
- Sandwich macarons bottoms with macaron tops.
- Best if stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator.