Butterscotch Crème Brûlée
- Preheat oven to 325°F.
- Melt butter in a medium saucepan. Add brown sugar in a few tablespoon amounts waiting for previously added amount to be nearly melted. When all sugar has been added mixture will become thick and sugar will no longer melt. Ensure that mixture does not create smoke.
- Immediately add heavy cream, being careful that it will not run over edges of pan.
- Heat until warm or nearly hot, then remove from heat.
- Add vanilla and set aside for 15 minutes.
- Add 1/2 cup of heated mixture to egg yolks and whisk rapidly. Gradually add remaining heated mixture to yolks.
- Place ramekins into a roasting pan. Pour crème brûlée mixture into ramekins. Pour water into roasting pan until it comes halfway up sides of ramekins.
- Place in oven and bake until center of ramekins no longer tremble. About 40 to 50 minutes - time will depend on depth of ramekins used.
- When cool enough to handle remove ramekins from roasting pan and place in refrigerator for several hours or overnight.
- Remove from refrigerator and cover surface of crème brûlée with a thin even coating of granulated sugar.
- Torch surface using a blow torch to melt and consequently caramelize sugar.