- One 9-inch graham crust
- 1 cup Imperial Sugar Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup cocoa powder, preferable dark cocoa
- 2 cups milk
- 3 large egg yolks
- Pinch salt
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- Whipped Creme / Crème Chantilly
- 1/2 cup heavy cream, very cold
- 2 teaspoons Imperial Sugar Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Optional: Chocolate Shavings
- 1 good quality chocolate bar, about 3-5 ounces
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Best results are obtained by pre-baking graham crust. Follow manufacturer’s directions.
- In a saucepan whisk together sugar, cornstarch, flour and cocoa powder. Whisk in milk, egg yolks, salt and vanilla extract. Whisk mixture constantly over medium heat to a full boil.
- When mixture bubbles and is thick remove from heat and stir in butter. Pour in pre-baked pie shell. Place in refrigerator and let cool completely, at least 2 hours.
- Meanwhile prepare chocolate shavings. Best results are obtained if chocolate is at about 75°F. Using a vegetable peeler, shave chocolate in same manner as peeling a carrot.
- For whipped cream, use a cold bowl and whip together cream, sugar and vanilla until firm peaks form. Decorate pie with whipped cream and chocolate shavings.