Copycat Olive Garden Breadsticks
- 2 1/4 teaspoons active dry yeast
- 2 tablespoons Imperial Sugar Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- 1 1/2 cup warm water (110°F)
- 3 cups all-purpose flour* + extra for dusting
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 3 tablespoons olive oil + more for proofing
- 4 tablespoons margarine*
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- *Spoon & Sweep method: Use a spoon to fill measuring cup with flour until required amount is obtained. Scooping measuring cup directly into flour bag will firmly pack flour resulting in too much flour required for recipe.
- In a small bowl, combine dry active yeast and sugar.
- Pour warm water over yeast sugar mixture and let sit undisturbed for 5 minutes to bloom.
- In a large bowl, whisk together flour and salt.
- Pour yeast mixture into flour, add olive oil and stir.
- Stir together until dough pulls away from bowl.
- Place dough onto a lightly floured surface and knead dough for 10 minutes.
- If dough becomes too sticky, lightly dust hands with flour and continue kneading.
- Place dough into a bowl that has been lightly oiled with olive oil, rotating dough to make sure it is completely covered in oil.
- Lightly cover dough bowl with tea towel and set in a warm place to proof for 1 hour.
- After an hour, remove dough and separate it into 16 equal pieces (about 2 ounces each).
- Use hands to roll each piece into breadsticks about 7-8 inches long.
- Lay breadsticks on a prepared baking sheet about an inch or so apart (may need two baking sheets).
- Lay a clean tea towel on top of breadsticks, place them into a warm place and let rise for 1 hour.
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Bake breadsticks in preheated oven for 12 minutes.
- While breadsticks are baking, melt margarine in small bowl and mix with garlic powder.
- As soon as breadsticks come out of oven, brush melted garlic margarine over breadsticks.
Imperial Sugar Insight
Butter can be used in place of margarine, but Olive Garden does use margarine.
Recipe developed for Imperial Sugar by Angie Barrett @BigBearsWife.