- 8 ounces vegetable shortening
- 1 cup Imperial Sugar Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- 2 eggs
- Zest of 1 orange (optional)
- 1/2 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 3 cups corn flour*
- 1 1/2 tablespoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon (optional)
- 1 teaspoon all-purpose flour*
- *Spoon & Sweep method: Use a spoon to fill measuring cup with flour until required amount is obtained. Scooping measuring cup directly into flour bag will firmly pack flour resulting in too much flour required for recipe.
- Combine shortening and sugar in a large mixing bowl. Mix on medium speed until creamy; about 3 minutes.Add eggs, orange zest, and vanilla and mix for 1 minutes. Set aside.
- Whisk together corn flour, baking powder, cinnamon, and all-purpose flour in a medium bowl.
- Add dry ingredients, half cup at a time to wet ingredients, mixing at low speed. Mixture should resemble wet sand.
- Preheat oven to 350° F. Line a large baking tray with parchment paper. Set aside.
- Place dough mixture on a working surface, knead with hands until smooth. Add a few tablespoons of warm water if needed.
- Roll 1 1/2 tablespoons dough between your palms to form a log. Connect ends by pinching together, resembling a small doughnut. Place on prepared baking sheet. Repeat with remaining dough.
- Bake for 35-40 minutes or until golden. Remove from oven and let cool on baking sheet. Enjoy immediately or store in an airtight container.
Recipe developed for Imperial Sugar by Ericka Sanchez @nibblesandfeasts.