Donut Stick Dough
- 3 1/2 cups cake flour*
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon table salt
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
- 2/3 cup Imperial Sugar Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 3-4 cups canola oil, for frying
- 2 1/4 cups Imperial Sugar Confectioners Powdered Sugar
- 3/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 4 1/2 tablespoons milk
- *Spoon & Sweep method: Use a spoon to fill measuring cup with flour until required amount is obtained. Scooping measuring cup directly into flour bag will firmly pack flour resulting in too much flour required for recipe.
- Sift cake flour, baking powder, salt, and nutmeg into a bowl and set aside.
- Mix butter and sugar together. Add egg and sour cream. Mix again.
- Alternately add flour mixture and buttermilk until soft dough forms.
- Place dough on floured surface and knead 2-3 times to cover dough with flour.
- Roll out to an 8 X 12-inch rectangle. Cut into 12 pieces that are 2 X 4-inches using a pizza cutter. Lightly score top of donuts.
- Add 4 cups oil to deep pot and heat to 370°. Whisk together glaze while oil is heating up.
- Carefully drop a few donuts into hot oil and fry on both sides, turning once, until golden brown.
- Remove with a slotted spoon or spider strainer and place on a tray lined with paper towels.
- Let oil come back up to temperature and repeat with remaining dough.
- Once donuts are slightly cooled, dip each one in glaze and place on a wire rack over a tray to dry. Serve immediately.
Imperial Sugar Insight
- Use a thermometer to watch oil temperature carefully. Too hot and donuts can burn and not be cooked inside, too cool and donuts will soak up too much grease.
- This recipe makes 12 donut sticks. You could cut them slightly thinner and make 14.
- Recipe developed for Imperial Sugar by Jocelyn Brubaker @InsideBruCrewLife.