Homemade Cherry Cordials
- 2 (10-12 oz each) jars maraschino cherries with no stems
- 3 cups Imperial Sugar Confectioners Powdered Sugar
- 8 tablespoons (1 stick) salted butter, melted
- 4 tablespoons light corn syrup
- 1/4 teaspoon almond extract
- 16 oz chocolate candy coating (also called almond bark or candy melts)
- Festive sprinkles/colored candy coating for garnish, if desired
- Carefully drain liquid from both jars of cherries.
- After all liquid is drained from both jars, spread cherries on a thick layer of paper towels. Gently pat until mostly dry.
- Beat powdered sugar, melted butter, corn syrup, and almond extract on medium speed until combined.
- Knead with your hands until a soft dough forms. Cover bowl with a damp towel and working with about a teaspoon at a time, pinch a ball of dough in your hands, flatten it, and wrap around one cherry. Set aside. Repeat until all cherries are covered in filling.
- Melt chocolate coating according to package directions. Dip each cherry in chocolate coating, allowing the excess to drip off. Place covered cherries on wax or parchment paper until set.
- Drizzle with colored candy coating and sprinkle with festive nonpareils, if desired.
OPTIONAL: Pour 1- 1 -1/4 cups whipped cream vodka, rum, amaretto, or brandy into each jar until it just covers cherries. Place lids back on jars and refrigerate 24 – 48 hours prior to starting recipe.
Recipe developed for Imperial Sugar by Kristan Roland @bakescupcakes.