Homemade Citrus Gumdrops
- 1/2 cup fresh lemon, orange, lime, tangerine, or grapefruit juice strained to remove pulp
- 1 tablespoon fresh zest of citrus fruit of choice
- 2 1/2 tablespoons powdered gelatin
- 3/4 cup water
- 2 cups Imperial Sugar Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- Pinch of salt
- Food coloring to match flavor
- Line an 8 x 8 inch pan with tinfoil and very lightly oil. (You can do it without oil it is just not as easy to separate the gumdrop from the surface.)
- In a large bowl, combine juice and zest and allow to rest for 5 or so minutes to soften up zest and release some of its flavorful oils.
- Sprinkle gelatin over juice mixture, stir until completely combined then set aside.
- In a medium pot, combine water, sugar, and salt and stir while bringing to a boil. Stop stirring when it begins to boil and keep it at a boil for 5 minutes.
- Pour sugar mixture over gelatin mixture and stir until it is smooth and all gelatin has dissolved.
- Pour into prepared pan, set aside overnight.
- Using fondant cutters for small gumdrops or cookie cutters for larger gumdrops, cut into shapes and roll in sugar. Let them set for a day or so to form gumdrop crust.
Imperial Sugar Insight
Recipe developed for Imperial Sugar by Carrie Fields @fieldsofcake.