- Bring half and half, first listed sugar, salt, nutmeg, cloves, cinnamon sticks, and vanilla extract to a boil.
- Meanwhile in a separate bowl, whisk egg yolks until smooth. Add a few tablespoons of boiled half and half to yolks and whisk quickly. Add about 1/4 cup more of boiled mixture and whisk smooth. Repeat with another small amount and gradually add remaining amount.
- Add bourbon and for very best flavor allow to cool overnight in refrigerator.
- Whisk egg whites and 2 tablespoons sugar to stiff peaks and fold into cold eggnog.
- Pour in glasses and if desired add a sprinkle of nutmeg.
Pasteurized egg whites are whipped and folded in to create a light but rich texture. This recipe is heated to ensure that it is safe to drink.