Homemade Tootsie Rolls
- 6 ounces milk chocolate, finely chopped bars (or 1 cup chips)
- 6 ounces dark chocolate, finely chopped bars (or 1 cup chips)
- 2/3 cup Imperial Sugar Confectioners Powdered Sugar
- 1/2 cup light corn syrup
- 1/4 teaspoon orange extract, optional
- Heat milk chocolate and dark chocolate in a microwave-safe bowl, on medium-high power, for 30-second bursts of power, stirring after each, until 75% of the chocolate is melted. Then stir vigorously until all chocolate has melted.
- Alternatively, you can melt chocolate in a double boiler on stove.
- Sift powdered sugar into bowl of chocolate. Stir until all sugar has dissolved.
- Continue to stir, until chocolate cools enough that it feels slightly cool to the touch.
- Add light corn syrup and orange extract and stir just until combined. Do not over-mix.
- Place in a zip-top bag and flatten to about 1/2-inch thickness.
- Set aside, at room temperature, for one hour.
- Remove from bag and knead just until smooth.
- Break off pieces and roll into 1/4-inch thick ropes.
- Cut into 3-inch long pieces.
- Wrap in wax paper, if desired.
- Store in an airtight container for up to 3 months.
Imperial Sugar Insight
It is important that you allow chocolate and powdered sugar mixture to cool before adding corn syrup. If chocolate is too hot, your candy can become greasy once you add corn syrup.
Recipe created for Imperial Sugar by Beth Jackson Klosterboer @Hungry Happenings.
These are so so good and super easy to make, and you can let the little ones help wrap them up,,, Now I didn't make tube shapes, I made them into squares, it was much easier for the children to wrap. But they are amazing and so delicious!!