Key Lime Pie
- 1 3/4 cups (7 oz) graham crackers
- 7 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- 3 tablespoons Imperial Sugar Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
Key Lime Filling
- 2 cans (3 cups) sweetened condensed milk
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 3 large egg yolks
- 1 large egg
- Zest of 3 large limes
- 1 cup key lime or standard lime juice (fresh is always best)
- 3 large egg whites, no yolk traces
- 1/2 cup Imperial Sugar Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Pinch of salt
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Crush graham crackers in a food processor or place in a zip top plastic bag and crush with a rolling pin. Mix crumbs with melted butter and sugar. Press on bottom and sides of a 9.5-inch deep-dish pie pan.
- Place in oven for 10 minutes. Remove and let cool while you make key lime filling.
- In a bowl large enough to hold all ingredients, combine sweetened condensed milk, sour cream, egg yolks, egg, lime zest, and lime juice. Mix until blended.
- Pour mixture on top graham cracker pie crust and place in oven for about 15-18 minutes. Time will vary based on pie pan material. Bake until center of filling no longer trembles. Remove from oven and cool in the refrigerator.
- Just before serving, prepare meringue. Place egg whites and sugar in a heat-proof bowl and place on top of a saucepan with simmering water. Whisk over low simmering water until very warm or meringue reaches 145°F. Remove from heat and whip until stiff peaks form, about 5-8 minutes. Add salt and vanilla extract.
- Using a large star tip pie meringue on pie or spread meringue with a spatula.
- Place under a broiler for a few minutes or use a blow torch to brown the meringue.