Lemon Meringue Pie
- 1 cup Imperial Sugar Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- 1 1/4 cups water
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 6 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/2 cup fresh squeezed lemon juice
- 3 large egg yolks
- 2 tablespoons milk or water
- 8-inch pie store-bough pie shell, baked or 1 Pure Butter Pie Crust
- 3 large egg whites, no egg yolk traces
- 6 tablespoons Imperial Sugar Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- 1 tablespoon lemon zest, no white bitter pith
- Pinch salt
- 1/8 teaspoon cream of tartar
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- In a non-reactive saucepan combine first listed sugar, water, cornstarch, lemon juice, lemon zest, and salt. Whisk to a boil.
- In a separate bowl whisk egg yolks and milk. Gradually add about 5-6 tablespoon of above-boiled mixture and whisk quickly.
- Pour egg yolk mixture into saucepan and whisk to a boil. Remove from heat when mixture is thickened like mayonnaise and makes thick bubbles, about 1-2 minutes.
- Add butter and stir in. Pour into pie shell and set aside. Do not cover with plastic wrap or refrigerate at this point.
- Whip egg whites, cream of tartar, and remaining sugar to stiff peaks.
- Spread onto pie ensuring that meringue has been spread onto the pie shell. (This keeps the meringue from sliding around.)
- Place pie in the oven until meringue is golden brown, about 8-10 minutes.
For an extra tart result, increase the lemon juice to a total of 8 tablespoons.