Orange Crush Pound Cake
- 2 1/3 cup all-purpose flour*
- 2 1/2 sticks unsalted butter, very soft
- 2 cups Imperial Sugar Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- 3 large eggs + 1 egg yolk, room temperature
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 4 tablespoons finely grated orange zest, no white bitter pith
- 3/4 cup orange soda
*Spoon & Sweep method: Use a spoon to fill measuring cup with flour until required amount is obtained. Scooping measuring cup directly into flour bag will firmly pack flour resulting in too much flour required for recipe.
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Butter and flour a 9- or 10-inch tube pan or bundt pan and set aside.
- Sift flour and set aside.
- In a stand or hand held mixer using paddle attachment, mix butter until light and fluffy. Add sugar and mix well.
- Add 1 egg at a time waiting for the previous added egg to be fully incorporated and mixture regains a smooth look.
- Add yolk, salt, and orange zest.
- Alternately add flour mixture and orange soda in 5 steps, starting with and ending with flour. Scrape batter into prepared pan and place in oven. After 15 minutes in oven reduce temperature to 325°F.
- Bake until center of cake bounces back when lightly pressed with a finger or an inserted toothpick comes out clean, about 1 hour 10 minutes. If cakes becomes too dark before being done, cover cake with a lightly buttered piece of foil.
- Remove from oven and let cool for 10 minutes before turning upside down on a serving platter.
- Prepare glaze by combining juice and powdered sugar, cover with plastic food wrap and set aside until cake has cooled.
- Brush cake with glaze and decorate with candied orange peel.