- 2 cups all-purpose flour*
- 1/2 cup Imperial Sugar Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon white pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon allspice
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, melted and cooled
- 1/3 cup molasses
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon anise extract
- 1 cup Imperial Sugar Confectioners Powdered Sugar
*Spoon & Sweep method: Use a spoon to fill measuring cup with flour until required amount is obtained. Scooping measuring cup directly into flour bag will firmly pack flour resulting in too much flour required for recipe.
- Preheat oven to 325°F. Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper, set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk together flour, sugar, baking soda, cinnamon, white pepper, nutmeg, ginger, salt, allspice, and cloves.
- Make a well in center. Add butter, molasses, egg, and anise extract. Beat with a hand mixer until well combined.
- Scoop 2 tablespoons of dough (or using a medium-sized cookie scoop) and roll into a ball. Arrange on baking sheet, spacing at least 1-inch apart for spreading.
- Bake for 10-12 minutes, until edges are set. Remove from oven and let cool for five minutes and then toss in powdered sugar to coat.
- Let cool completely before storing in an airtight container for up to a week.
Recipe developed for Imperial Sugar by Jessica Segarra @TheNoviceChef.