Dried Egg White Version:
- Sift together powdered sugar with dried egg whites and place in a bowl.
- Add water and lemon juice and whip several minutes to a stiff mixture.
- Thin mixture with water or food coloring if desired.
Raw Egg White Version:
- After measuring powdered sugar sift it into a mixing bowl.
- Add egg whites and lemon juice and beat using a paddle attachment on low speed. Once all ingredients are combined mix on high speed for seven minutes or until royal icing is thick and holds its shape.
- Cover immediately with plastic food film and ensure that food film touches royal icing.
- At this stage royal icing will be firm enough to pipe lines or edges on cookies etc. For “flooding” between lines or for royal icing which is more fluid, add a tiny amount of water or lemon juice.
Cookie decoration by Bridget Edwards of @Bake at 350.