Salted Caramel Cookies
- 3 cups all-purpose flour*
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- 2/3 cup Imperial Sugar Light Brown Sugar, packed
- 1/2 cup Imperial Sugar Confectioners Powdered Sugar
- 1 egg, room temperature
- 1 tablespoon milk
- 1 tablespoon vanilla
- 2 bags (10.5 oz) Werther's Chewy Caramels, unwrapped
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 2 teaspoons salt
- Flaky sea salt, for garnish
- *Spoon & Sweep method: Use a spoon to fill measuring cup with flour until required amount is obtained. Scooping measuring cup directly into flour bag will firmly pack flour resulting in too much flour required for recipe.
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper or silicone baking mat.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, salt, baking soda, and cream of tartar, set aside.
- In a larger bowl, beat butter, oil, brown sugar, and powdered sugar until smooth. Add egg, milk and vanilla, beating until well combined.
- Gradually add dry ingredients into wet ingredients, beating until just combined.
- Using your hands, roll two heaping tablespoons of dough to create large golf ball side dough ball.
- Place on prepared cookie sheets, leaving 2 inches between cookies. Using a small buttered measuring cup (I use a 1/8 cup measuring cup), gently press in the center of the cookie to create an indent in the center.
- Bake for 8 to 10 minutes. The cookies will not look cooked all the way, they will stay very light in color, but they are done.
- Remove from oven and let cookies rest on baking sheet for 5 minutes. Then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Caramel Topping: In a microwave-safe bowl, microwave caramels and milk for 30 seconds and stir. Continue microwaving in 15-second intervals until completely melted. Add in salt, stir well.
- Pour or drizzle the caramel into the indents in the cooled cookies. Sprinkle the tops with flaky sea salt before caramel begins to harden.
- Allow caramel to re-harden before moving cookies. Store in an airtight container for up to a week.
Imperial Sugar Insight
Recipe developed for Imperial Sugar by Jessica Segarra @TheNoviceChef.