Sweet Potato Cream Cheese Bundt Cake
Cream Cheese Filling
- 1 (8 oz) package cream cheese, softened
- 1/4 cup (4 tablespoons) butter, softened
- 1/2 cup Imperial Sugar Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- 1 large egg
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour*
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon maple extract
Sweet Potato Cake
- 2 cups all-purpose flour*
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 1 1/2 cups Imperial Sugar Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 cup sweet potato purée (boiled and mashed)
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 2/3 cup whole milk
Maple Praline Frosting
- *Spoon & Sweep method: Use a spoon to fill measuring cup with flour until required amount is obtained. Scooping measuring cup directly into flour bag will firmly pack flour resulting in too much flour required for recipe.
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Grease a 10-inch bundt pan with baking spray or butter and flour it. Set aside.
- Prepare filling first. In a stand mixer, beat cream cheese, butter and sugar until light and fluffy, about 2 minutes. Add egg, flour, vanilla and maple extract and continue beating until smooth. Set aside while preparing cake batter.
- In medium bowl, mix flour, baking soda, pumpkin pie spice and salt. Set aside.
- In large bowl of stand mixer, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in eggs one at a time, then stir in vanilla, sweet potato purée and vegetable oil until well combined. Beat in flour mixture alternating with milk.
- Pour half of cake batter into prepared bundt pan. Top evenly with cream cheese filling, leaving a 1-inch border around edge of pan. Top with remaining cake batter.
- Insert a butter knife into cake batter and lightly swirl cream cheese filling into cake. Do not swirl too much, you just need to swirl knife a couple of times through layers.
- Bake for 55 to 65 minutes, until center is set and a toothpick inserted comes out clean. Allow cake to cool completely (in bundt pan) before inverting onto cake plate.
- For Maple Praline Frosting: Combine brown sugar, butter and milk in small saucepan over medium heat. Bring to boil and let boil for 1 minute, whisking constantly.
- Remove pan from heat and whisk in vanilla extract. Whisk in powdered sugar, until frosting is smooth. Gently stir frosting until it starts to thicken, about 2 minutes, and then pour over cake. Garnish with chopped pecans.
Recipe developed for Imperial Sugar by Jessica Segarra @TheNoviceChef.