Whipped Shortbread Cookies
- 3 cups unsalted butter, softened
- 1 1/2 cups Imperial Sugar Confectioners Powdered Sugar, sifted
- 4 1/2 cups all-purpose flour*
- 1 1/2 cups cornstarch
- Optional: sprinkles, colorful candies, melted chocolate, jam for toppings and fillings
*Spoon & Sweep method: Use a spoon to fill measuring cup with flour until required amount is obtained. Scooping measuring cup directly into flour bag will firmly pack flour resulting in too much flour required for recipe.
- Preheat oven to 300ºF.
- Using a stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment beat butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
- In a separate bowl, sift together flour and cornstarch. In three additions, gradually mix dry ingredients into butter and sugar mixture.
- Scoop dough by the tablespoon and roll into a ball with palms. Place on an ungreased baking sheet, leaving 1-inch between each cookie. Press lightly with a fork or create an indentation with thumb or spoon (for filled thumbprint cookies).
- For pressed cookies, add sprinkles to the cookies before baking.
- For filled thumbprint cookies, spoon a teaspoon of jam into the indentation before baking. Alternately, fill with caramel sauce or fruit curd after baking.
- Bake for 20 minutes. Let cool on the pan.
- Drizzle with melted chocolate if desired.
Recipe developed for Imperial Sugar by Ashton Swank @somethingswanky.