White Chocolate Strawberry Cake
- 12 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
- 2 cups Imperial Sugar Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- 5 large egg whites, room temperature
- 1 whole large egg, room temperature
- 1 cup whole milk, room temperature
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 3 cups cake flour*
- 1 tablespoon + 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 3 cups fresh strawberries, washed, hulled and sliced
- 1/2 cup Imperial Sugar Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- 2 tablespoon cornstarch
White Chocolate Frosting
- 1 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 1 cup vegetable shortening
- 5 1/2 cups Imperial Sugar Confectioners Powdered Sugar
- 4-5 tbsp heavy whipping cream
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 5 ounces white chocolate, melted and slightly cooled
- 1/2 cup strawberry store-bought frosting
- 8 white chocolate truffles, such as Lindt Truffle Balls
- White chocolate shavings or curls
- Sliced strawberries
*Spoon & Sweep method: Use a spoon to fill measuring cup with flour until required amount is obtained. Scooping measuring cup directly into flour bag will firmly pack flour resulting in too much flour required for recipe.
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Grease and flour three 8-inch round cake pans. Set aside.
- Mix butter and sugar until creamy.
- In a separate bowl, whisk egg whites, egg, milk, and vanilla. Combine with butter mixture in 3 additions, mixing well and scraping down sides as needed between each addition.
- In a separate bowl, mix cake flour, baking powder, and salt. Add dry mixture to creamed mixture in 3 additions, mixing well and scraping down sides as needed between each addition.
- Divide batter equally between prepared pans. Bake for 25-30 minutes, or until an inserted toothpick comes out clean. Set aside to cool completely.
- While cakes cool, prepare strawberry filling. Mash strawberries with a fork and add to a medium saucepan. Add sugar and cornstarch, and place over medium-high heat.
- Stir constantly until boiling. Reduce heat to a simmer and allow to bubble for another 5 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Place strawberry filling in the refrigerator to cool completely.
- Prepare white chocolate frosting. On medium speed, mix butter and shortening until combined and smooth. Add powdered sugar 1 cup at a time, alternating each addition with vanilla and whipping cream. Scrape down sides of bowl as needed. Drizzle in white chocolate and whisk for 1-2 minutes until smooth and fluffy. Keep covered in an airtight container until ready to use.
- To assemble cake, anchor bottom layer to cake stand or plate with a little bit of frosting.
- Pipe a thick ring of frosting around perimeter of cake to contain strawberry filling. Spoon strawberry filling on top of cake. Place second cake layer on top. Repeat with second and third layers.
- Place cake in freezer for about 30 minutes to firm frosting and strawberry filling. Once firm, frost outside of cake with remaining white chocolate frosting.
- For the pink drip, melt strawberry frosting in microwave for 30 seconds on 50% power. Spread over top of cake and let drip down sides.
- If desired, decorate cake with additional white chocolate truffles, white chocolate shavings and strawberries.
Recipe developed for Imperial Sugar by Ashton Swank @somethingswanky.