Almond Joy® Layer Cake
- 2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour*
- 3/4 cup Dutched cocoa powder
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 2 cups Imperial Sugar Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 2 teaspoons almond extract
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup Imperial Sugar Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- 1/2 cup water
- Pinch salt
- 3 1/2 cups finely shredded unsweetened coconut (not flaked coconut)
- 1 cup heavy cream or 7/8 cup canned coconut milk
- Double recipe: Chocolate Ganache or Sauce
- 2/3 cup whole almonds
- 1/2 cup sliced almonds
- *Spoon & Sweep method: Use a spoon to fill measuring cup with flour until required amount is obtained. Scooping measuring cup directly into flour bag will firmly pack flour resulting in too much flour required for recipe.
- Preheat oven to 310°F.
- Butter and flour three 8-inch baking pans and set aside. (Fitting a round piece of parchment paper on bottom of baking pan is highly recommended for easy removal of cake.)
- Sift together flour, cocoa powder, baking soda and sugar and set aside.
- In a bowl large enough to hold all ingredients whisk eggs and buttermilk until well combined. Add oil, vanilla, almond extract and salt and whisk smooth.
- Meanwhile heat water until hot.
- Add dry ingredients buttermilk-egg mixture and whisk smooth. Add hot water in 3 increments, while whisking the batter smooth in between additions.
- Divide batter evenly into pans and place in oven. Bake for 40-45 minutes until an inserted toothpick comes out clean.
- After 5 minutes turn upside down on a parchment-lined surface and allow to cool completely before filling or frosting, about 1 hour.
- Meanwhile prepare filling. Bring sugar and water to boil and remove from heat. Add coconut and stir to combine.
- Add heavy cream or canned coconut milk in 5 increments stirring in between. Cover with plastic food film and let cool.
- Place a cake round on a serving platter and spread with half of coconut filling ensuring to keep 1/2 inch away from edge. Cover with another cake layer and spread remaining coconut mixture on top.
- Place remaining cake layer on top. Frost cake using about 2/3 of chocolate ganache. If ganache has not firmed yet to a consistency of regular frosting, remove 1/2 of ganache from bowl and set bowl over a few ice cubes. Stir constantly until slightly thicker. Wait a few minutes and allow ganache to thicken. If ganache was over chilled and has become too firm to spread, soften in a microwave oven in 3-4 second increments.
- Scatter whole almonds on top. Heat remaining ganache until lukewarm and pour over almonds and entire surface of the cake. Place sliced almonds around bottom edge of the cake (if desired).
- Serve cake at room temperature.
NOTE: Be sure to use shredded unsweetened coconut for the filling as it will resemble the filling of the real candy bar.
Almond Joy® is a registered trademark of The Hershey Company. All rights reserved.